Entries accepted: June 1—July 31
Winners announced: August 7
Calling all writers in 12th grade and under! This is your summer to shine! The Library is hosting a writing contest with five different categories:
- Comic Book: a story told in the style of a graphic novel. Stories must be primarily pictures, with text.
- Poetry: all poetic formats accepted--rhyming is not required. Entries may consist of a single poem or a collection of poems, so long as the full entry fits on one double-sided 8”x11” page.
- Short Story: an impactful story told in the shortest length possible—maximum one paragraph.
- Tales & Trails: a story that relates to the Summer Reading Club theme “Tales & Trails.” All lengths accepted.
- Wildcard: a story about anything, of any length. The story must have been written in its entirety during the contest (June 1-July 31).
- Every person who participates will receive one brag tag for each of their entries (up to five total).
- The runners-up in all categories will receive bound copies of selected Youth Writing Contest submissions.
- The winners in all categories will receive trophies and bound copies of selected Youth Writing Contest submissions.
- All entries will be judged blind by library staff members other than Ms. Jacqui.
- Judging will consider the writers’ ages in context.
- The library reserves to right to award one, multiple, or no winners in each category.
- Winners will be announced on Saturday, August 7.
- Entries may be fiction or non-fiction.
- All entries may include illustrations/graphics.
- Illustrations/graphics are only required for the Comic Book category.
- All illustrations/graphics must be original creations by a listed author.
- Group entries are accepted so long as all group members and their ages are listed.
- Illustrations included on any submissions must be original creations (Digital/Manual).
- Adults may assist writers with:
- Submission forms
- Submitting entries
- Adults are asked to limit their assistance to suggestions when editing.
- Adults are asked to provide bare minimum, if any, assistance with drawings/graphics.
Submitting your entry
- All entries must be submitted via email to Ms. Jacqui (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All entries must be submitted with this form in (fillable) or as a (write over).
- Multiple entries can be submitted in a single email, however:
- every entry needs its own individual submission form
- writers may only submit one entry per category
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on Saturday, July 31.
Formatting an entry
- Entries may be hand-written or digital.
- If hand-written, scan or take photos of the entries and submit them as attached files.
- If digital, either type directly in the body of the email or attach the entries as files.