American Creed - Host a Conversation
Thank you for your interest in hosting an American Creed Living Room Conversation! No special training is needed - just follow the steps below. Contact the library if you have any questions.
While spirited debate has it's place in public discourse, these conversations are different. Conversation agreements ensure everyone is focused on listening, respecting other viewpoints, and being authentic. The conversation guide asks questions that promote honest sharing, while discouraging argument. Living Room Conversations are a conversational bridge across issues that divide and separate us. They provide an easy structure for engaging in friendly yet meaningful conversation with those with whom we may not agree. These conversations increase understanding, reveal common ground, and sometimes even allow us to discuss possible solutions. No fancy event or skilled facilitator is needed.
How to host on your own Living Room Conversation:
- View the film, American Creed.
- Visit Living Room Conversations for full hosting details.
- Choose a co-host, ideally someone from the other side of the political divide. Co-host should also view film and read Living Room Conversation hosting detials.
- Consider viewing the 10 minute Living Room Conversations Ted Talk – Free Yourself from Your Filter Bubbles
- Download The American Creed Conversation Guide. It will walk you through the conversation, beginning with the conversation agreements and introductions. The conversation questions are designed to promote sharing ideas, listening, and learning.
- Review the Conversation Agreements. Everyone in the conversation agrees to: be curious, respectful, find common ground and note differences, be authentic and welcome that from others, be purposeful and to the point, own and guide the conversation.
- Each co-host invites two friends to join the conversation. Encourage participants to view the film and review the conversation guide and agreements before you meet. Or watch the film together.
- Choose a date and location for the conversation – an actual living room, a coffee shop or a conference room at Wright Library
- Register your conversation with Living Room Conversations and with Wright Library.
- Have your conversation! Be sure to begin with the conversation agreements provided.
- Provide feedback to Living Room Conversations.
If you enjoyed having this conversation, look into the many other conversation guides available from livingroomconversations.org