A vision for the future, rooted in tradition
Wright Memorial Public Library, now celebrating its 80th anniversary, is one of the most-used libraries in America. Awarded a coveted 4-Star rating by Library Journal in 2018 and attracting 150,000 visitors per year, Wright Library’s usage ranks in the top 1% nationally compared to other libraries of similar size.
While there is ever-higher demand for local library resources and materials that are accessible to all, technology to meet the needs of today’s workplace, educational programming, and highly trained staff – Wright Library operates today with less annual revenue than it received in 2009.
In March 2020, Oakwood residents will vote on a 1.5 mill levy, which will provide Wright Library with needed funds to continue offering quality materials, services, staff, and programs.
Levy funds will be used for operations as well as essential infrastructure repairs and replacements and some modest updates, phased over time without increasing the building’s footprint, which would improve comfort and usability for Oakwood’s library users. These operating and facility priorities include:
• Ample materials in multiple formats to meet the needs of different types of learners and users
• Quality, well-trained staff
• Early literacy programs and outreach with local preschools, Oakwood City Schools, and private schools
• Book deliveries and other services for homebound, elderly, and disabled residents
• Technology tools for today and tomorrow’s workforce and personal needs
• Repairs and upgrades to the library’s infrastructure
• Improvements in accessibility, with ADA and family-friendly restrooms, updated walkways, and parking
• Modest improvements to usability and comfort of the building, including updated spaces for children, teens, and technology
• Efficiency upgrades that will reduce operating costs
A Community Conversation
The Library Board, administration, and staff are committed to providing high quality, affordable library services and safeguarding this Oakwood legacy for generations to come. The levy will ensure continuity of exceptional services, take care of essential facility repairs, and allow for modest updates that will better serve today and tomorrow’s users.
Read on to learn more about our stewardship, history, and building needs. We welcome your questions; please contact Kristi Hale, Director, at email@example.com or 937-250-6824.
Wright Library has a long history of careful stewardship. Learn more...
Since 1939, Wright Library has grown over time to meet the needs of the Oakwood community while still honoring our uniquely historic building. Learn more...
Our historic front rooms make a beautiful first impression, but infrastructure issues for the remainder of the building have grown with time. Learn more...
Funds will support our regular library operations. Learn more...
Wondering how costs and plans for repairs will effect you? We can help answer your questions. (It's what we do!) Learn more...