What is the Library of Things?
Wright Library's Library of Things is a variety of activities, equipment, tools, and kits so you can learn or develop a new skill, accomplish a practical task, make someone a gift, or discover a new hobby.
Create, build, tinker and learn at your own pace, then share your experiences and creations on Wright Library's Facebook or Instagram.
The Library of Things collection includes:
- Makerboxes - tools and supplies for creating things (listed below)
- Learning Backpacks - activity bags that encourage hands-on learning for young children
- Activity Passes to local attractions like museums and parks
- Digital Devices like wifi hotspots and tablets
Learn more about our entire Library of Things collection >>
What is a Makerbox?
A Makerbox is specifically designed to help you tinker, design, construct, and create something new.
In some cases, you can keep your creations even after returning the kit.
- 3D Pen | Check Availability - Draw real objects using the 3D printing pen
- Arduino | Check Availability - Play with circuits, program, and invent with Arduino, an open source prototyping platform. Requires a home computer with internet access.
- Balloon Twisting | Check Availability - Learn to create balloon animals and sculptures
- Biology | Check Availability - Microscope with specimen slides; animal anatomy models that can be taken apart.
- Build a Constellation | Check Availability - Young learners can learn the points of the constellations in our night sky
- Building | Check Availability - Six different building sets, including GoldieBlox, Magnetic tiles, and Laser Pegs.
- Calligraphy | Check Availability - Colorful calligraphy markers and pens, guide book, practice notepad and slanted grid paper for hand-lettering practice
- Code-a-Pillar Twist & Bee-Bot | Check Availability - Borrow friendly these friendly little robots to help learn coding skills for young learners under 5
- Coding & Circuits | Check Availability - Enjoy board games designed to teach coding principles and experiment with Snap Circuits.
- Cricut Cutter 1 | Check Availability - Borrow the Cricut Explore Air 2 to use for paper crafting, vinyl creation, or custom home decor
- Cricut Cutter 2 | Check Availability - Borrow the Cricut Joy to use for small projects like greeting cards or vinyl decals
- Cubetto | Check Availability - A hands-on, screenless way for children to explore basic computer programming skills
- DIY Escape Room | Check Availability - Everything you need to make an original Escape Room at home
- Engineeering | Check Availability - Build with connectors, gears, wire, wheels, pulleys, dowels, clips, cups and more. Keep what you make and return everything else.
- Engineer Story Kits for pre-schoolers
- Gaming | Check Availability - Tools to invent your own video game or tabletop board game.
- Harry Potter Movie & Game Night | Check Availability - Watch all of the 8 feature films or play Trivial Pursuit World of HP, HP Labyrinth, or Pictionary Air-HP
- Harry Potter Party | Check Availability - Use the Harry Potter themed baking and candy making molds to make HP themed treats
- Interior Design | Check Availability - Unique tools to help you re-imagine your living space.
- Juggling | Check Availability - Learn to juggle clubs, rings, balls, and scarves from an illustrated instruction book
- Kids Construction | Check Availability - Snap-together building sets
- Knitting & Crochet | Check Availability - Supplies, equipment, and instructions for beginning knitting and crocheting.
- Makey Makey | Check Availability - Map keys on your keyboard to any conductive object, like carrots, play dough, or water. Requires a home computer with internet access.
- Maneuverability Driver's Ed Set | Check Availability - Cones and instructions to set up your own driving test practice course
- Mini Studio | Check Availability - Try vlogging (video blogging) with this Mini Studio
- Movie Making | Check Availability - GoPro camera with accessories to help you make your own movie. Create a stop action film with Animation Studio.
- Oral History & Podcasting | Check Availability - All the equipment you need to record family history or make a podcast.
- Parachute Games | Check Availability - Have fun with this 12 foot heavy duty play parachute and the 4-person game, ParaShoot Set
- Pattern Making | Check Availability - Pattern games for pre-school and early elementary learners
- Pottery Wheel | Check Availability - Make a pot or vase with a pottery wheel, tools, clay, and how-to books. Air dry clay, then paint to decorate.
- Quilting | Check Availability - Basic supplies to cut fabric for quilting
- Radon Detector | Check Availability - Measure radon gas levels in your home
- Raspberry Pi | Check Availability - Use a tiny computer the size of a credit card to program, invent, play games and more. Requires a TV with an HDMI connection.
- Relaxation | Check Availability - Try your hand at Zentangle, use the Buddha Board, or the Tibetan Singing Bowl Set
- Sewing Machine | Check Availability - Sew up your own styles with the Brother CS6000i, thread and a beginner’s guide to sewing.
- Spinning Wheel | Check Availability - Hand-spin your own yarn with a drop spindle and spinning wheel
- Telescope | Check Availability - Portable telescope for exploring the night sky
- Ukuleles | Check Availability - Make music alone or with friends-- individual ukuleles or sets are available for checkout.
- Unicycle | Check Availability - Try a new recreational hobby by checking out the library's Avenir Deluxe Unicycle (20-inch wheel).
- Vehicle Diagnostic Reader | Check Availability - Diagnostic tool to help you determine why a warning light is on in your car
Read our Makerbox Policy and Waiver
- Borrowers must have a Wright Library Card and be in good standing for at least 60 days - Get a Library Card
- Borrowers must be 8 years or older and have a Library of Things waiver on file. If under 18, a parent or guardian must sign and submit the Library of Things waiver.
- Download and print the waiver then bring completed waiver to the library with your library card or photo ID.